Q: Should the scholarship be taxed in my home country?
A: Scholarships are often exempt from taxation, but different rules apply in each country. You should check your home country’s tax legislation for the specific conditions applicable to you or consult a tax advisor.
Q: How is the money paid?
- Visual and Sound Arts & Performing Arts: 90% of the support is paid at the beginning of the residency period, after the Fund has received the contract signed by the artist and the host organization. The remaining 10% of the support is paid after the residency period has finished, after the Fund has received and approved the final report written by the artist and the host organization. By default, the whole amount (lump-sum + scholarship) is transferred to the bank account of the host organization, who is obliged to transfer the scholarship to the artist without delay. If the host organization is not entitled to disburse scholarships, the Fund can pay the lump-sum and the scholarship separately. This should be requested in advance by email and requires the Fund’s approval.
- Visual Arts in New York: The scholarship is transferred to the bank account of the artist after the signed contract is delivered to the Fund.
- Fashion Residency in Milan: The scholarship is transferred to the bank account of the artist after the signed contract is delivered to the Fund.
- Literary Residency: The scholarship is transferred to the bank account of the resident stated in the contract. In the case of the 6-week residency (Compact Spring Edition), the scholarship is paid in one instalment, after the Fund receives the contract signed by the resident. In the case of the 3-month residency (Regular Autumn Edition), the scholarship is paid in two equal instalments. The first instalment is transferred when the Fund receives the contract signed by the resident. The second instalment is transferred after the first month of the residency is completed.
Q: When will I receive the money?
A: If the scholarship is paid in one tranche, the artist receives it at the beginning of the residency period, after signing the contract. If the scholarship is paid in two tranches, the first tranche will be paid once the Fund receives the signed contract. The second tranche is paid after the final report is received and approved by the Fund.
For standard literary residencies (3 months), the second tranche is paid after the completion of the first month of the residency.
Q: When and where will I receive the contract for signing?
A: The contract will be sent to your host organization before the start of your residency. You should sign it upon your arrival and send one copy back to the Visegrad Fund’s address. For the Visual Arts Residency in New York and the Fashion Residency in Milan, the contract will be sent directly to your (the resident’s) correspondence address before you leave for the residency.
Q: What does the scholarship cover?
A: The scholarship can be used to cover any direct expenses connected with the residency. The artist does not have to submit a financial settlement to report how the scholarship was spent.